What is Google My Business (GMB)?
Google My Business is an incredible platform that can help local small businesses gain visibility to new customers.
Google My Business (GMB) is a free, easy-to-use tool that helps businesses manage their online presence and appearance on Google Search and Google Maps. This includes adding the name, location, and time of the business.
If you are new to local SEO, Google My Business is a great place to focus your initial efforts. After all, when people are looking for a product or service near them to purchase, they can use the find near me feature to locate you.
Google My Business allows you to list:
- Company Name
- Physical location
- Hour of operations
- Customer reviews
- Photos of your company
Google my business is an important aspect of local rankings. Requesting and verifying your business with Google increases the visibility of local search results and regularly brings customers into your business, online, and in real life.
Why do you need a Google My Business account?
- A Google My Business account is entirely free
- It enables the display of useful information and makes it easy for your customers to leave reviews
- It can drastically increase your search visibility (find near me)
- It Can Help Reduce the Costs of Google Ads
How to build a Google My Business Account
- Step 1: Log in to the Google account you want to associate with your business.
- Step 2: Then go to google.com/business and click on “Start now” in the upper right corner.
- Step 3: Enter the company name.
- Step 4: Enter the company address.
- Step 5: Choose the category of your business. Try to choose the most precise category possible.
- Step 6: Add your business phone number or website.
- Step 7: Choose a verification option. If you are not ready to verify your business, click on “Try another method,” → “Next.”
Ways to verify your business on Google
Google My Business can be verified in several ways:
- Instant verification
- Mass check
- By postcard
- By telephone
- By e-mail
Steps to Optimize Your GMB Profile
Companies are sometimes less encouraged to optimize GMB because it is a free tool. For whatever reason, when something is free, it quickly falls off the list of activities to do.
Your Google business profile will be as powerful as you allow it. For this to work for you, you need to optimize it. Here are some ways to do it.
- Download the Google My Business app
Your GMB profile should look like another social media account. You don’t have to waste time on your laptop to make changes or updates to your GMB profile; download the app. This will make it easier to add photos, publish status, and respond to reviews.
- Encourage your customers to leave comments (and don’t forget to respond)
The more positive feedback you have on your Google My Business account, the more activity you generate. Also, the companies with the most positive reviews will be highlighted in the search local ranking. Your objective should be to land inside the high visibility panel.
- Upload sharp, crisp photos
Google has found that photo businesses get 35% more clicks on their sites and 42% more directions than businesses without them.
While it can cost you money, I recommend hiring a photographer to take clean, clear, and professional-looking photos of your store, your interior, and any products or services you sell.
Daily more and more companies are jumping to create a Google My Business account. Unfortunately, only a few in each city are making an effort to create a profile that will stand out and ultimately attract more customers. It is an excellent opportunity for you.
Google My Business app
Google my business is also available as an app for iOS and Android.
You can use the app to:
- Update your work schedule, location, contact information, and description
- View images and post statuses
- View search information
The application cannot be used to:
- Delete your business listing
- Change your settings
- Grants ownership of the listing to another user
It is helpful for businesses to prioritize their marketing decisions to inspire customer buying behaviour. Google My Business is undoubtedly a market pioneer when it comes to empowering businesses and enabling them to connect directly with customers.
GMB posts have enabled companies to inspire customers to buy more, reduced purchasing options and improved the brand-customer relationship.
In general, GMB posts are a great way to align your business goals with current market and customer trends, and it is a blessing for small businesses and existing businesses.